“A spoonful of honey will catch more flies than a gallon of vinegar.” –Benjamin Franklin -1744
One of the most common misconceptions about the devil is that he has horns and a tail and walks around with a fiery pitchfork. Hollywood often presents him as a hideous and monstrous goat-like figure, yet early depictions in Scripture describe him as beautiful, light, crafty, perfect, full of wisdom, and anointed. That is to say that if the devil presented himself the way Hollywood has painted him, nobody in their right mind would be tempted to follow him. Therefore the devil often masquerades as an angel of light tempting mankind away from God, towards self-exaltation, and ultimately destruction.
The devil is a master of making bad things look good and using good things for evil purposes.
This Sunday will be the last Sunday in our sermon series over the book of Daniel. This week we’ll learn how jealousy, greed, and selfish ambition were dressed up as patriotic duty to destroy a godly man and masqueraded as something good. The result is a monstrous sentence in a dark dungeon with hungry beasts just waiting to devour the innocent.
Peter tells us in his first letter to the churches, “Your adversary, the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.” Join us this Sunday at 10:30am for the message: Laws, Liars, and Lions, as we continually prepare ourselves to stand firm against the devil’s schemes and resist evils that appear so tempting.
- Grilling in the Park: This summer our Trafalgar Campus will be hosting four lunches at Liberty Park from 12-1pm immediately following our Sunday worship services. On June 13th, 27th, and July 11th and 25th, we will be inviting/joining our local community for lunch and fellowship. We are planning on grilling hamburgers and hotdogs free of charge and asking you for your presence, various side donations, and radical hospitality. There will be a sign-up sheet in the Narthex beginning this Sunday with various needs and roles. PLEASE PRAY FOR THIS OUTREACH!
- Just Jesus: Check out Pastor Travis’ new devotional series, Just Jesus. The series aims to unpack some of Jesus’ most famous teaching associated with His Sermon on the Mount recorded in Matthew 5-7. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXq2OE7fsf2txYBUQf2tQdHXPqSbPNZGf
- Mask Update: Beginning June 6th, our Trafalgar Campus will no longer be mandating the wearing of facemasks during our Sunday services. You may wear one if you wish, but we will begin following the CDC guidelines that states masks are no longer necessary for those who have been vaccinated. Most importantly we want to be gentle and welcoming to all. We will continue to have hand sanitizer at the doors and masks are available for anyone who requests one.
- Indians Game: Who’s ready for an Indianapolis Indians’ baseball game? The Mt. Auburn family will be attending the Indians’ game on Tuesday, July 13 at beautiful Victory Field against the Omaha Storm Chasers. First pitch will be at 7:05 p.m. Group seating will be alongside third base of left field. Tickets are $10 a person and will be sold in before service on June 13, 20 & 27. We are asking that you pay by check or have exact cash. Handicap seating is available, just let us know when purchasing tickets.
- Pringles Cans: Our high school students are about to leave for the first of two missions trips the week on June 7. You can help them before they go by dropping off empty Pringles cans at the church office or at the Go Serve Center on Sunday. They will be using them as a ministry tool in Tennessee. I know it’s last minute, but these cans are needed by this Sunday, May 30.
- Community Prayer Meetings: “To be a Christian without prayer is no more possible than to be alive without breathing.” – Martin Luther The Trafalgar Sanctuary is open to the public nearly every Friday morning at 9:30am. Join our small group as we pray for our church, our community, our world, and seek the direction God is leading our ministry.
- – Travis Taylor